This nurturing therapy offers a safe and gentle way to support your wellbeing during this special time. Pregnancy Massage will relieve many of the natural discomforts experienced during pregnancy, including backache, leg cramps and swollen ankles. The perfect way for mum-to-be to relax and nurture her ever-changing body.
Pregnancy Massage is not performed during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy without a written doctor’s consent.
What is involved in Pregnancy Massage?
Pregnancy can put a lot of stress on your back, shoulders, neck and abdominal muscles. Massage therapists specifically designed Pregnancy Massage to alleviate everyday aches and pains experienced by women during pregnancy.
Before the massage begins, your therapist will discuss your health and lifestyle. They will ask you to lie on a massage table with specially designed pregnancy support pillows and cover you with towels to protect your privacy and keep you warm.
What are the benefits of Pregnancy Massage?
Studies indicate that massage therapy during pregnancy can help in the following ways:
- Induce relaxation and reduce stress
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips and legs
- Reduce stress on weight-bearing joints
- Improves outcome of labour and easing of labour pain
- Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues
- Regulates hormones, resulting in improved mood
- Reduction in edema or swelling
- Better sleep
Always talk to your doctor before you have a pregnancy massage, especially if:
- you are in the first trimester
- you have nausea, vomiting or morning sickness
- you are at high risk of miscarriage
- you have a high-risk pregnancy (such as due to preeclampsia or high blood pressure)
- you have a blood clot, for example, deep vein thrombosis
- you have abdominal pain or bleeding